Tuesday, January 21, 2014

In the Stillness by Andrea Randall

Real life is hard. Don't let anyone tell you any differently. People put in the same situation deal with that situation in different ways. While this book dealt with situations that are out of my realm of understanding I consider it one of the top 10 that I've ever read. One of the best love stories hands down.


I don't cut. I don't know anyone who cuts. Last week my son came home from school telling me about his friend who got caught at school cutting. So, while I thought the premise didn't have anything to do with me life laughed & said 'oh yes it does'. That experience made me want to read this book even more.


The other thing is that I admire Charles Sheehan-Miles and love his books. When he recommends a book I take note. This read is a result of his recommendation.


Natalie is a wife and mother and terrible unhappy at both. A catastrophic event from her past has scarred her in more ways than one. When an unforeseeable event pushes her to make a decision, she has long struggled with, her past meets her future head on. Through her attempts at learning to cope with life's struggles she finds the person she used to be. A person whose past does not dictate her future.


I don't want to give too much away with this review, but I would be remiss in not telling you that it deals with some deep subject matter. PTSD and cutting are the main ones. My skin literally crawled reading this story, but if you can get through the first half, the second is not as tough. Aside from the cutting this story hit close to home for me in a lot of ways. I have yet to meet a mother who doesn't wish her kids away at some point in time.  Followed by a boat load of guilt for thinking it. The decisions we make in our teens and early 20's are often not the same ones we would make later in life. It's how we deal with those decisions that define us as people.


In trying to become a well rounded reader I vowed a long time ago to not pigeon hole myself into one genre of books. I have rarely been disappointed in this endeavor. So, I encourage you to step out of your box and try something new!


B&N
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/in-the-stillness-andrea-randall/1115091002?ean=2940016720128


Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Stillness-Andrea-Randall-ebook/dp/B00CB24VS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390357891&sr=8-1&keywords=in+the+stillness



No comments:

Post a Comment