Monday, April 22, 2013

A Song for Julia by Charles Sheehan-Miles
When reading a book there are several factors that come into play on whether it belongs in the 'good' catagory. For me the two most important are: can't put it down once I start, and immediately looking for more books by that author when you are finished. Both were true with this book. I came across it by accident while looking through a friends nook library & not finding the book I wanted, decided to give this one a shot. I also didn't notice, until finished, that it was written by a man. Blew me away! Not very often can you find a man so in tune to what a woman wants to read that he can write such a compelling story. Can't wait to read more from this author!

This book has almost everything you could ask for in a book: Politics, Music, Parental Emotional Abandonment, Stolen Innocence, Family Ties, Friendship, Mental Illness, Special Needs, Self-Discovery, Self-Reliance, Ambition, Quest for Independence, not to mention Romance.

The journey of Crank & Julia was one that I was engaged in from the get-go and I was sad to see them go at the end of the book. Although there are 700+ pages I still wasn't prepared to stop reading.

This book reminds me, a LITTLE bit, of Thoughtless by SC Stephens with Crank being in a band & their road to success. If you liked that one, you are sure to love A Song for Julia!

No comments:

Post a Comment