Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Last Hour by Charles Sheehan-Miles

I like to think that I am at a time in my life where I know what I want and don't want in most things. When I read books I like romance. I like mystery. I like paranormal. I like a hot male protagonist, I like a strong female character, I like a LITTLE turmoil but most of all I like a happily ever after ending.

Charles Sheehan-Miles is not my typical author that I turn to for all the things I 'like', but from the moment I read A Song For Julia (reviewed earlier on my blog) I was hooked. He has now made it onto the 'must read' list. Which is why I started in on The Last Hour without a second thought as to whether or not I would like it.

With that being said, The Last Hour has pretty much none of what I like or wanted and everything that I needed. It is another lesson on how I need to expand my horizons and branch out in my reading material.

The Last Hour is a stand alone book, but I HIGHLY recommend you go back and read the previous books about the Thompson Sisters as they are all referenced in this book.

I get a little held up on reviews where I might reveal spoilers & this is one of them. So, I will do my best not to reveal too much.

Ray Sherman is the love of Carrie's life. An Army Infantry Soldier who has come back from Afghanistan with more than just your average baggage.  Doing the right thing will jeopardize everything that he has worked for, but not being able to live with the secret has him doing just that.

Carrie is the Thompson sister who has always been the glue holding the other sisters together. She is the caregiver. The one that protects, provides, and accepts all the sisters just as they are. So, what happens when Carrie is the one in desperate need of support and caregiving on the single most devastating day of her life?

This book goes through the hours following a life threatening accident involving Ray, Carrie & Carrie's sister Sarah. It is intense, heart wrenching and devastating. Flashbacks through the war in Afghanistan and the love story of Ray & Carrie make the story even more poignant.

I would reveal too much if I tell you why this story is not what I 'like', but should you read it? Abso-freaking-lutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment